Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 12:06, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Albert Cahalan said:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:07, tom_gall@mac.com wrote:
> >
> >>   Thankfully this is not a huge undertaking as the goal is not to create
> >> an end to end 64 bit system. (Tho that could be done, but perhaps
> >> that's a discussion for another day)
> >
> > It's not as if the Linux apps are all 32-bit.
> > Due to the Alpha, Opteron, and Itanium, the
> > code should all be clean.
> >
> > You'll be running a mix if you go this route,
> > keeping both libraries in memory. Yuck. Some
> > apps need to be 64-bit. For example, procps
> > must be compiled as a 64-bit executable if
> > you want to support a 64-bit kernel.
>
> Not true, at least on ppc64.  I've run debian on my power3
> machine with a 64-bit kernel, and procps works fine.

This gives bad numbers:
ps -eo nwchan,eip,esp,stackp,drs,dsiz,tsiz

Also, anything over 1 TB will cause trouble.
Maybe you've installed that much RAM, or at
least swap. :-) Virtual address space counts.

I'm not about to "fix" this, because doing so
would hurt all the 32-bit users.

>   In fact,
> everything runs fine.

Sure?  :-)

> This begs the question, what will a ppc64
> Debian look like?  I'd guess a 64-bit kernel, 32-bit and 64-bit
> toolchains, .... ?

Hopefully that /lib64 abomination is avoided.
It's going to look pretty silly once we all
stop using 32-bit apps. In the near-term, it
makes compiling native (64-bit) libraries
terribly difficult -- speaking from experiance
on Red Hat's x86-64.