Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

Greets,

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 08:00 AM, Albert Cahalan wrote:

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:07, tom_gall@mac.com wrote:

Thankfully this is not a huge undertaking as the goal is not to create
an end to end 64 bit system. (Tho that could be done, but perhaps
that's a discussion for another day)

It's not as if the Linux apps are all 32-bit.
Due to the Alpha, Opteron, and Itanium, the
code should all be clean.

Well it's not a question of 64 bit clean code.
On PowerPC64, 32 bit applications run at full speed, no emulation. Actually
they run a little faster than their 64 bit counterparts.

Now certainly one could do a bow to stern 64 bit Debian for ppc64 but
in the interest of getting something together quickly, I think this is the
best route, at least short term.

You'll be running a mix if you go this route,
keeping both libraries in memory. Yuck. Some
apps need to be 64-bit. For example, procps
must be compiled as a 64-bit executable if
you want to support a 64-bit kernel.

True but it's a very short list of packages that require this. It's not like having
build all of Gnome/KDE 32 and 64 bit!

I hope you'll agree this is a worthwhile endeavor and with your
support, debian support for PowerPC64 processors can be enjoyed by all.
(Or at least those with or soon to have hardware ;-)

Eh, does Linux even run on Apple's new box?

Runs on my g5. Pull from ppc.bkbits.net specifically benh's repositories.

Regards,

Tom