Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 11:06 AM, Leigh Brown wrote:

Albert Cahalan said:
On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:07, tom_gall@mac.com wrote:

Thankfully this is not a huge undertaking as the goal is not to create
an end to end 64 bit system. (Tho that could be done, but perhaps
that's a discussion for another day)

It's not as if the Linux apps are all 32-bit.
Due to the Alpha, Opteron, and Itanium, the
code should all be clean.

You'll be running a mix if you go this route,
keeping both libraries in memory. Yuck. Some
apps need to be 64-bit. For example, procps
must be compiled as a 64-bit executable if
you want to support a 64-bit kernel.

Not true, at least on ppc64.  I've run debian on my power3
machine with a 64-bit kernel, and procps works fine.  In fact,
everything runs fine.  This begs the question, what will a ppc64
Debian look like?  I'd guess a 64-bit kernel, 32-bit and 64-bit
toolchains, .... ?

Hmm I checked my Power3 box with SuSE on it and in that case they
had it built 64 bit. Still no biggie, I think you're right Leigh,
shouldn't be alot needed that's 64 bit ... least not initially. But certainly
in time that can (and should) change.

I hope you'll agree this is a worthwhile endeavor and with your
support, debian support for PowerPC64 processors can be enjoyed by all.
(Or at least those with or soon to have hardware ;-)

Eh, does Linux even run on Apple's new box?

Apparently so, but pSeries boxes should also be supported.

I agree, and don't forget iSeries boxes.

Basically I'd like to see supported:

Native on the metal, Apple G5, Power3, RS64-III, RS64-IV, Power4
and for those boxes that support it, Logical Partition iSeries & pSeries

Regards,

Tom