Re: VGA-out problems on a Powerbook

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 19:25, Francesco wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 19:03, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > > So how do I disable Xinerama?
> >
> > By not enabling it. :) You have Option "Xinerama" in your XF86Config-4.
> >
> I've also had commented it out:-(
> #       Option          "Xinerama"
>
> but still get:
> $  grep -i xinerama /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA

As you saw earlier about RandR, this doesn't mean it's actually enabled
but merely that it would be possible.

> If I do this xrandr is a little more expansive:
> $ xrandr
> X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  156 (RANDR)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (RROldGetScreenInfo)
>   Serial number of failed request:  8

I think there were incompatible changes to RandR between XFree86 4.2 and
4.3, you may have to upgrade xbase-clients to the version in
experimental.

> and glxinfo continues to claim:
> $ glxinfo |head
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No

Direct rendering isn't supported yet with Xinerama-less dualhead either.

> > > (I just need this feature to give presentations, I don't want to have
> > > a display extension).
> >
> > Wouldn't mirroring be best for this, which is enabled by default for a
> > single head configuration?
>
> ehee ehehe whatever.....but at the moment if I simply plug an LCD
> monitor (Philips 180P) nothing happens (also if I close and then open
> the lid...)

The lid isn't supposed to have any effect, it needs to be connected and
preferably powered up when the X server starts up. If DDC detection
doesn't work for the external monitor, you can try something like

	Option	"MonitorLayout"	"LVDS,CRT"

(if it's connected via an analog VGA connector) or

	Option	"MonitorLayout"	"LVDS,TMDS"

(if it's connected digitally, though there may still be driver problems
preventing it from working in that case)