Re: Help with X using ATI pci card?

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:21:43AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 23:17, W. Crowshaw wrote:

> > > The atimisc driver doesn't support this yet.
> > >
> > Yep, I know.  The card docs say that this is
> > impossible as well.  No, I had intended to run
> > monitor off of /chaos/control (the 7500 built in
> > video) and the other, larger, monitor over the ati
> > card.
>
> This might work, using the fbdev driver for the control.

Exactly what I was thinking, using the much improved
controlfb...

> > Additionally, I thought I would say that, even
> > though I cannot get a console or a X session using
> > this ati connected to my Dell monitor, this isn't
> > a problem with the card itself because 1) it behaves
> > great on the MacOS and 2) I have three of these
> > cards and they all behave the same way on X.
> >
> > Any ideas, or should I just sell the cards on e-bay?
>
> I'd try a newer XFree86 version first.

Really?  Say it isn't so. Upgrading to debian
unstable isn't very enticing and damn if I want to
build another app from scratch.  My debian system is
starting to look like gentoo.  Before I made the
plunge, could you or someone else give me any
assurances that it would be worth the trouble?

--
wcrowshaw