Re: keyboard!#%^&

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 07:10:26AM -0500, Media 100 wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > Use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 -- although I'm not sure that was
> > available in potato. Also, woody's xfree 86 has much better support
> > for powerpc hardware, so it might be a better idea to just upgrade
> > now. That will straighten out a lot of problems.
>
> Chris,
>
>   Potato does have dpkg-reconfigure, but it returned some message
> (sorry not to quote it accurately) about not being able to work on
> xserver-xfree86.  I eventually decided (for reasons I'll explain) to
> bite the bullet and do an apt-get upgrade.  It failed completely and
> while it doesn't matter at this point (I'll explain that, too), I'm curious
> about what I did wrong.  Basically I replaced the word potato with the
> word woody in sources.list and told it: apt-get dist-upgrade.  When it
> failed, it suggested I do: apt-get update to replace missing files, so I did.
> That did something, but as far as I can tell, not very much (sorry again
> not to have preserved the specific messages it returned).
> It did return a lot of "404-not found" errors, though.  I did not
> rerun apt-get dist-upgrade, however, so I don't know if the results of
> that would have been different.
> Anyway, I would be interested if you have any thoughts on what I'm
> doing wrong here.

Well, yes, you do need to do apt-get update after changing sources.list,
I forgot to mention it. Maybe it would be better to substitute 'stable'
instead of 'woody'. The non-us sources are no longer valid, so that
may explain the 404's. Here is part of my source.list for reference:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://debian.crosslink.net/debian/ stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

> But,
>
> At this point, my original kernel (2.2.17) will no longer boot up at all,
> returning error messages about (as far as I can tell) bad sectors in the
> swap partition.  (Although the later kernel -- which actually proved to
> only be a 2.2.20 -- will boot up, but, as before, won't do the GUI.)
> Basically, I think the drive itself is physically shot
> (based on other evidence as well) and I am going to be best
> off doing an entirely new installation of woody on a new drive :-(
>
> Oh, well...
>
> Anyway, thanks for all your advice and help so far and if you have
> any further observations on any of the above, I would be interested
> to hear them as well.

A new drive certainly wouldn't hurt, particularly since you can get 40G
for a few hundred bucks. But you may be jumping the gun a bit here ...

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People