Re: keyboard!#%^&

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 07:39:20AM -0500, Media 100 wrote:

> Chris' advice, and the file he porvided, worked perfectly.  What I type is
> now
> what comes out; a considerable improvement.  Unfortunately I still cannot get
>
> Xwindows to start and I suspect the mouse, as I indicated in my first post.
> When I initiallly set the system up I had a terrible time getting the mouse
> problem straightened out and now I suspect what I did then needs to somehow
> be undone now.  What that was consisted of having /etc/X11/XF86Config
> contain the following lines:
>   protocol: IMPS/2
>   device: "usbmouse"
> I tried commenting these out, but then get an error that Xwindows sees no
> mouse
> protocol.  But when I put them back, it again says cannot open mouse, no such
> device, although
> dmesg shows the kernel recognizing a Logitech optical PS/2 mouse, which is
> right.  All I've
> come up with in the archives is about remapping the mouse buttons in the
> keycode
> file, but I'm not at all sure that's what I should do.  Any advice, or
> pointers to existing
> advice would be most appreciated.
>
> Mike
>
> BTW, when trying to use the old (ADB) kernel, the:
>
>   keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
>
> line doesn't seem to work.  I'm assuming that this argument is given at the
> yaboot "boot:"
> prompt, following (in my case): debian: root-/dev/sda8.  Is this correct?

It should work there, maybe your kernel doesn't recognize it.

> Finally, sorry is these are stupid nwebie questions, but rest assured I go
> around all the circles
> I can think of before posting them.

Use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 -- although I'm not sure that was
available in potato. Also, woody's xfree 86 has much better support
for powerpc hardware, so it might be a better idea to just upgrade
now. That will straighten out a lot of problems.

When you do configure the mouse, you want the /dev/input/mice device, and
imPS/2 should work as the protocol.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People