DVD Playing on iBook 2.2

Hello List,
	There might have been a similar question asked before on this list,
but I am not sure.  so, here's my situation:
I have an ibook 2.2 800MHz with 256MB ram.   I am running a 2.4.20-benh
kernel.  No ALSA yet.  Using Xine (also tried ogle) to play the DVDs.  The
DVDs are playing, but they are quite choppy.  Not so much that it is
unwatchable, but enough so that it is irritating.   I have DMA enabled on
the drive.   I am looking for any suggestions that will help me get a smooth
playback.
TIA
ajay