Re: trouble using IBM 1.4.1 jdk for ppc on Debian

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:20:20AM -0500, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Nope, setting JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE to any value from 0 to 8 doesn't seem
> > to help. Setting JAVA_COMPILER=NONE worked, but there is not JIT then.
>
> The code in the JIT looks in /proc/cpuinfo and parses it to try to detect
> processor type.

Ok. I just posted to the NEWS group suggested in the documentation of
the IBM JVM. Let's see if anything comes from it.

> Is there some strange restriction on your processor type (no floating point
> unit, strange cache line size, problems with sync or isync, cache flushing,or
> ...) that might be causing a problem?

It is just a plain 750CXe 600MHz. I guess those were used on the ibooks
before the 750Fx. That said, i suppose there may be trouble with the
subarch detection. My box is a Pegasos, and it says :

processor       : 0
cpu             : 745/755
temperature     : 31-33 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 601MHz
revision        : 51.17 (pvr 0008 3311)
bogomips        : 1199.30
machine         : CHRP Pegasos

Maybe the JVM has trouble with the Pegasos attached to the machine type, or
the 745/755 cpu id, which could be more precise maybe.

Mmm, i wonder if the temperature reading has any meaning in this case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther