[RESOLVED] stability problems with CONFIG_HIGHMEM

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:48:20AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> The stability leaves a little bit to be desired, as can be seen at the
> following URLs:
>
> http://redwald.deadbeast.net/tmp/kernel_fuckup_1.jpeg
> http://redwald.deadbeast.net/tmp/kernel_fuckup_2.jpeg

After 1 day, 21h28m of uptime with all 1G of RAM, kernel 2.4.22, and
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=yes, I believe I have rectified these stability problems.

(I haven't tried an XFree86 compile yet, though.)

I believe the explanation involved a slight hardware modification:

http://redwald.deadbeast.net/tmp/this_makes_your_kernel_oops.jpeg

The part in question was rattling around loose between the chassis and
the underside of the motherboard, right near the memory module sockets.

Thanks to everyone for their confirmation that 1G RAM *is* supposed to
work, even on older Apple desktops.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      It doesn't matter what you are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      doing, emacs is always overkill.