No (video) devices detected

Hi, I'm having trouble getting the x-server to see a valid video device.

(II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.0.) for chipsets generic
(EE) No devices detacted
 Fatal server error:
 no screens found
 x connection to :0.0 broken
(explicit kill  or server shutdown)

I installed woody (3.0rev1) on a power mac 7600 with a the video that it came from
apple with. the video is onboard. Not a pci card. I think apple's method was to use
system ram to supplement the vram. I did do apt-get install discover, but discover
doesn't discover the video. If anyone has experiance with setting up older macs to work
with debian and specifically getting the x-server to work I would appreciate the
help-thanks
Please note: I have tried to subscribe to the list but something doesn't seem to be
working. I added the list address to my contacts ( I am blocking spam/swem vigorously )
and now nothing seems to get through :( So I would very much appreciate the help and I
will just read the archieves. thanks again

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 250MB Storage, 20MB Messages, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com