Re: No (video) devices detected working now

Thanks for the help. I did get kde running. All I did was choose fbdev in debconf. I
really appreciate the help. I do have alot of work ahead of me if I want to run debian
though since many packages seem broken. I can't get my pppd working correctly either,
although it does dial out. Maybe its a permission problem but even after I did chmod on
most of the ppp files still couldn't get a valid connection. I'll post again when I
have more specifics. I wish debian had an easy mode :) system admin is not my strong
suit. Thanks again.

Quoting Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:17:38AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> > Hi, I'm having trouble getting the x-server to see a valid video device.
> >
> > (II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.0.) for chipsets generic
> > (EE) No devices detected
> >  Fatal server error:
> >  no screens found
> >  x connection to :0.0 broken
> > (explicit kill  or server shutdown)
>
> Instead of using the generic VGA driver, you need to use the fbdev
> driver. There isn't a driver for the control video in XFree86, but
> there is an fb driver in the kernel (controlfb).
>
> > I installed woody (3.0rev1) on a power mac 7600 with a the video that it
> came from
> > apple with. the video is onboard. Not a pci card. I think apple's method
> was to use
> > system ram to supplement the vram. I did do apt-get install discover, but
> discover
> > doesn't discover the video. If anyone has experiance with setting up
> older macs to work
> > with debian and specifically getting the x-server to work I would
> appreciate the
> > help-thanks
>
> Actually, the 7600 (and other similar machines) use the control video
> chipset, which is on a separate bus that is almost PCI, but not quite.
> It does have it's own VRAM (4 sockets, 1M modules), but it can be
> shared with the video input that came with most models based on the
> same motherboard. The 7600 has the PlanB video input, which does have
> a Linux driver. As far as XFree86 is concerned, the control video is
> a dumb framebuffer handled entirely by the kernel. So make sure you
> have controlfb running (check /proc/fb and make sure it doesn't say
> offb) before you try to configure X.
>
> 	Brad Boyer
> 	flar@allandria.com
>

> --

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 250MB Storage, 20MB Messages, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com