Re: Debian installation of new 15" alubook 1,25SD

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:27:28AM +0100, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Récemment Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:24:01 -0700
> "Chris Tillman" <toff1@cox.net> a écrit:
>

> > Does the cdrom seem to mount correctly?
>
> Excuse me, I've forgoten to give the information : the cdrom works
> correctly, and I can cd  read, cp and so on with all files in it.
>
> >Try mounting it ahead of time
> > using the 'Mount an already initialized partition' item, or check in
>
> All initializedpartition are correctly mounted on /target, so the hard
> disk is correctly detected (as /dev/hdc) .
>
> > console 2 during the install attempt to see if _you_ can see files
> > under /instmnt .
>
> This works too. I've open 3 or 4 consoles, but the problem is the name
> of the searched files for the base system install. They're not in the
> cdrom ( I'm using a sarge netinstall cdrom found with debian.org website
> )

Ohm for some reason I thought you were using _woody's_ installer. I think
you mentioned bf2.4, which is part of woody?

If you have woody's root.bin loaded, and you're using a sarge CD; this is
not going to work, I don't think.

The root.bin (now called initrd.gz I think) that works (or doesn't
work) with the sarge CD is not widely available yet. I think someone
on the list posted a link to one the other day, or you have to build
it yourself from cvs.

> And for the network install, they're correctly downloaded, but something
> goes wrong after the download.
>
> For now, I'm trying to build a complete base system (with libc, complete
> yaboot, and correct keyboard with "|" (often needed ;-) )
>
> After this, I'll put it on a cdrom with a"big" cp from the cdrom to
> the/ partition. ybin -v and go...but I prefer over all a clean
> Debian install.

cp will not work by itself. The permissions will not be set right.
Instead, if you want to help with testing the sarge installer,
find the correct initrd, boot it, and file bug reports :)

If you really just want to get Debian installed, then get a woody CD
image, or just do a net install of woody using your root.bin. Then
upgrade to sarge with apt-get dist-upgrade after you have a skeleton
installation.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People