Re: Making d-i work on oldworlds

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:25:00AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Rogério Brito schrieb:
> >On Oct 14 2003, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> >>Second someone has to write an installer component to install the
> >>bootloader for oldworld after a successful installation.
> >I don't understand exactly what would be needed here. Which work exactly
> >needs to be done? Wouldn't the part that handles newworlds work
> >correctly, besides having to call quik instead of yabootconf (or is that
> >mkofboot) to set up the bootloader on the disk?
> >
> >Would there be other code that needs to be written?

> You could try to use yaboot-installer as a starting point or even make
> it possible to install yaboot and quick with the same installer
> component. Probably it's not too much code, but it needs to be done and
> tested.
> As I don't know quik, I don't know if it's simply a matter of calling
> quik instead of mkofboot.

Yes, pretty much. quik installs itself in a boot block instead of
needing a separate partition. It uses /etc/quik.conf instead of
/etc/yaboot.conf, and you call it with `quik` rather than `mkofboot`.

The scripts are still there in boot-floppies; the piece we haven't
mentioned is using ofpath to figure out how to set the nvram
parameters. What's there works for most people.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People