Making d-i work on oldworlds (was: Re: share partition between macosx and debian)

On Oct 14 2003, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> The d-i team would appreciate your help. We seriously need testers on
> oldworld, as none of us has access to such hardware. AFAIK d-i is
> completly untested on oldworld. The first step would probably be to
> build a kernel 2.4 (needed for devfs) which fits on a floppy, as we were
> told that this is the only way to boot oldworlds without using
> proprietary software.

Yes, booting on oldworlds via a CD seems to be possible only with
proprietary drivers. OTOH, I could (when I had Debian installed on that
oldwordl) boot it with miboot on a floppy without problems.

What I did was to compile my own kernel, gzip the vmlinux file in the
root directory of the kernel sources (calling it with the appropriate
name), grab the hfs boot image from woody and replace the kernel from
the floppy.

Since the oldworld in question (a PM 9500/180MP) has its battery
completely drained, the open firmware values that are set with nvsetenv
don't stick and, as far as I tried, quik didn't work for me. I could
never make it use the monitor to go to open firmware and I don't have
the appropriate cable for using a serial console. :-(

> Second someone has to write an installer component to install the
> bootloader for oldworld after a successful installation.

I don't understand exactly what would be needed here. Which work exactly
needs to be done? Wouldn't the part that handles newworlds work
correctly, besides having to call quik instead of yabootconf (or is that
mkofboot) to set up the bootloader on the disk?

Would there be other code that needs to be written?

[]s, Roger...

  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito