Re: Upgrade Mac OS X 10.2.8 stops 2.4.21-ben2

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:22:44AM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> This is what I have:
> cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
> clock           : 667MHz
> revision        : 3.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
> bogomips        : 665.19
> machine         : PowerBook3,5
> motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> board revision  : 00000000
> detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
> pmac flags      : 0000000b
> L2 cache        : 256K unified
> memory          : 768MB
> pmac-generation : NewWorld

same machine here, with 512MB ram and revision '3.3'

> I'm running Debian 3.0.r.1 (testing/unstable) on the same hard disk
> where OS X has its own partition(s)

same here.

> Yesterday I installed the Mac OS X 10.2.8 upgrade to the machine
> above: After this, I couldn't boot again to my default kernel which at
> this time was 2.4.21-ben2 (I had compiled this kernel on the machine
> above).

I installed the _first_ 10.2.8 update (the one which was removed shortly
after being released) and immediately was unable to boot most of my
kernels.  Not a single 2.6.0-text(1,4,5) kernel would boot anymore (that
is what I usually ran).

The last message printed during startup is
"Thermal assist unit not available"

after that, the machine switches power off.  Also, the hardware clock is
reset to 1904.

> What saved me in the end, probably, was the fact I had a second, older
> fallback Kernel (kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc) in /boot, *and* indexed
> in yaboot.conf :), which still booted after the OS X upgrade (better:
> It booted without problems after having stopped cupsys from starting
> at boot time).

2.4.23-pre5-ben0 worked on my machine, too.

Now I have installed the '1.2.8old -> 1.2.8new' update from apple.com,
however still no change.  Not a single of my old 2.6 images (that have
been running for a month or so) would boot anymore.

I suspect that apple somehow did a hidden openfirmare upgrade in that
MacOS upgrade.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org>               http://www.gnumonks.org/
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it your lifetime