Upgrade Mac OS X 10.2.8 stops 2.4.21-ben2

Hi all,

This is just a warning message for those having a Mac OS X and Linux
install on the same machine.

Details:
This is what I have:
cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 667MHz
revision        : 3.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
bogomips        : 665.19
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
board revision  : 00000000
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
pmac flags      : 0000000b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 768MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

I'm running Debian 3.0.r.1 (testing/unstable) on the same hard disk
where OS X has its own partition(s)

Yesterday I installed the Mac OS X 10.2.8 upgrade to the machine
above: After this, I couldn't boot again to my default kernel which at
this time was 2.4.21-ben2 (I had compiled this kernel on the machine
above).

This whole situation brought me a lot of extra work for a weekend that
I actually had planned for nothing else than TV, some Jim Beam and the
exploration of the deeper secrets of fetchmail ... :)

What saved me in the end, probably, was the fact I had a second, older
fallback Kernel (kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc) in /boot, *and* indexed
in yaboot.conf :), which still booted after the OS X upgrade (better:
It booted without problems after having stopped cupsys from starting
at boot time).
kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc was not build on my machine: I (probably)
installed it after a download after a "apt-get install", or something
like that ...

I was lucky enough to suceed this night in building (even at the
first build run .... :), and booting a new 2.4.22-ben2 kernel.

I don't think I could have fixed the system so fast without this
second rescue kernel in /boot ...

And last, but not least: Thanks to all the coders out there, writing
the sources for the kernel, drm-trunk, XFree and so much more: I would
have been lost this week-end without your excellent work.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--
Profile, Links: