Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

El sáb, 04-10-2003 a las 17:08, Sven Luther escribió:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 04:42:52PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > El sáb, 04-10-2003 a las 16:13, Sven Luther escribió:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Nope, they are a small kernel and modules which goes installed
> > > in their right place, like the output of the make-kpkg kernel-images
> > > mostly. I don't think what you like is possible, since there is a limit
> > > on the size of the initrd for powerpc (3.3M or something such i think),
> > > and anyway, i don't see much what you gain by it.
> >
> > The x86 initrd is less than 3.5Mb and it's compiled that way.
>
> But powerpc executables are bigger, and i have around 8Mo of modules
> built.

:-? I didn't know that ppc executables are so bigger...

> > I'm talking about a more modularized .config file so you can use
> > make-kpkg as always.
> >
> > With that setup you have a kernel that will only load what you need and
> > will let you boot from USB, FireWire, IDE or SCSI just like MacOSX
> > without add all those buses inside kernel.
>
> I still don't understand the need for an initrd ? Once the system is
> installed, you can just put the modules on the harddisk, and when
> installing, it is debian-installer who handle this ...
>
> Mmm, i think i see, you want the ide/scsi/firewire/usb/whatever stuff
> out of the kernel, so you can boot with those, even if they are needed
> to mount your system. Ok, this seems like a nice idea, i guess it could
> not be the same kernel as the one used for debian-installer though, as
> it uses the initrd for the root image.

That's it.

Hmmm I know that you should not add ALL modules inside initrd for
debian-installer, but What happens if you want boot from a firewire
cdrom?, or a USB one? I think that you should add to debian-installer
modules all boot possibilities so the user will be able always to boot
her/his system.

> Anyway, we are too near the srge release for those kind of changes, but
> i will look into it when i get the time.

I'm not talking about sarge, I'm talking about the future, if it cannot
land inside Sarge, just next release will have it :-)

> Friendly,

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín