Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

El sáb, 04-10-2003 a las 16:13, Sven Luther escribió:
[...]

> > I have a question about those kernels. Are they something like x86 ones
> > where you have all possible drivers as modules (ide, for example) and
> > then an initrd image so you will have a really small kernel with lots of
> > modules?
>
> Nope, they are a small kernel and modules which goes installed
> in their right place, like the output of the make-kpkg kernel-images
> mostly. I don't think what you like is possible, since there is a limit
> on the size of the initrd for powerpc (3.3M or something such i think),
> and anyway, i don't see much what you gain by it.

The x86 initrd is less than 3.5Mb and it's compiled that way.

I'm talking about a more modularized .config file so you can use
make-kpkg as always.

With that setup you have a kernel that will only load what you need and
will let you boot from USB, FireWire, IDE or SCSI just like MacOSX
without add all those buses inside kernel.

> > That option is one thing I'm missing from x86 kernel images on powerpc.
> >
> > Also, a package like kernel-build-* will be really useful to compile
> > modules if you have a prepackaged kernel like yours.
>
> Mmm, effectively, that would be usefull, i was not aware that something
> such existed, i will be looking into it.

Perfect.

Thank you.

> Friendly,

Cheers.