Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

Hi all,

This is a followup to tell you what I did. Thanks all for the
suggestions on how to recover. In the end I just had to reinstall Debian.

Mike Lake wrote:
> I need a bit of guidance in getting a Ti PowerBook booting.
> Today I allowed Apple to upgrade the OSX on my machine and now Linux
> does not boot. This may be a problem wiht the just released today 40MB
> patches so all take care.
> It was working fine then oday I did an OSX update. OSX works fine still
> (except M$ Explorer now crashes but that is no loss) but when I go to
> boot linux this is what happens.
> The kernel starts to boot
> Welcome to Linux kernel 2.4.20
> ......etc etc
> then it fails....
> openpic spurious
> openpic exit

Basically I had two choices: 1. reinstall OSX from original CD and see
if that changed back whatever was causing the problem. 2. reinstall
Linux as a stock kernel 2.4.18 prior to the benh kernel 2.4.20 did work.
I choose the later as I really needed ny system up.

I booted from the install CD1 and skipped all the partitioning and
initialising stuff and went straight to installing a kernel and modules;
   thence to installing a base system. The Debian installer complained
and said it was designed to install on a clean system and I already had
a Debian system on there. I ignored that as I didn't want to initialise
the disk partition as it was just one partition including /home and
initialisation would wipe that clean. I wanted it to just install a
kernel and modules. Then I made it bootable by reinstalling yaboot.

It worked OK and it booted fine. I just had to put back on /etc/hosts
and minor stuff. /home was fine. I did an apt-get update
and I expected all sorts of probs with library and file mismatches but
there were none. The only thing it did that was unusual is that dpkg is
now 'held back' for some reason.

Moral: 1. dont update as soon as updates are available from Apple
         2. have a backup of your kernel on another machine
         3. even for a small system having /home on another partition
would have been useful.

PS. On last Saturday there was an article on Slashdot about the problems
that users were having with the patch that got pulled ny Apple after
only being realeased for a few hours "MacFixIt Details Mac OS X 10.2.8
Bugs".

Again thanks for the help that you guys gave.

Mike

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.