Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 12:51, Mike Lake wrote:

> then it fails at the text only a few lines down..
> openpic spurious
> openpic exit
>
> The laptop then shuts down

Disclaimer: I have no first hand experience with this problem, I'm just
trying to combine information I've been picking up, so take the
following with a grain of salt.

Apparently, recent versions of Mac OS X update the PMU firmware such
that a hard shutdown happens if older Linux kernels try to change the
CPU frequency or put the machine to sleep. The only remedy seems to be
using a very recent benh kernel or disabling CPU frequency scaling in
the kernel (if you don't need sleep).