Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 06:47, Michael Lake wrote:

> Basically I had two choices: 1. reinstall OSX from original CD and see
> if that changed back whatever was causing the problem.

It wouldn't have, assuming the PMU firmware upgrade was the cause.

> 2. reinstall Linux as a stock kernel 2.4.18 prior to the benh kernel
> 2.4.20 did work. I choose the later as I really needed ny system up.

You could have kept your existing system with a different kernel... as a
rule of thumb, the only reason for reinstalling a Debian system is
unrecoverable filesystem damage.

> PS. On last Saturday there was an article on Slashdot about the problems
> that users were having with the patch that got pulled ny Apple after
> only being realeased for a few hours "MacFixIt Details Mac OS X 10.2.8
> Bugs".

Unsurprisingly, I only see problems specific to Mac OS though; no
mention of the PMU firmware upgrade. Apple couldn't care less about
problems with Linux.