Re: Recompiling Kernel on G4 PowerMac Gigabit dual 450Mhz

Hi Wolfgang

On (11/09/03 14:48), Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Clive Menzies wrote:

> > > Get my tree and make pmac_config
> > >
> > > Ben.
> >
> > Thanks Ben
> >
> > It took a bit of detective work but when I found the page:
> > http://penguinppc.org/~benh/
>
> <http://ppckernel.org/tree.php?id=3>
>
> The following page for a TiBook III definitely helped me a lot for my
> Titanium IV:
> <http://cattlegrid.net/~christophe/titanium/>
>  I didn't copy the advice there literally and varied it a bit:
> <http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/ppc-benh-kernel/readme>
>
> Inside the benh 2.4.21-ben2 tree:
> README (on top of the tree)
> Documentation/Configure.help
>
> And this book helped me understand the difference between a module and
> non-modular device drivers:
>
> "Running Linux" by Welsh, Dalheimer, Kaufman (O'Reilly), 3.rd edition.
> About 12 or 13 pages on Kernel building there. And please have an
> extra thorough look at the book if it's another edition than the one
> above. Contents might be different then, IIRC ...
This is a book I thought about but opted for two others: Linux
Administration Handbook and Linux Administration-A Beginners Guide.
I'll have a dig through those but it sounds like my Linux Library needs
to expand ;)  I also got LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell but it is
of limited tutorial help more a guide as to what you need to know for
certification.

> And in case you get errors while building your kernel (I got several
> of them ... :) ... :
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200307/msg00568.html>
>
> To fix the stuff I simply unset these options in the kernel .config
> that I thought were responsible for the build errors I got. I can't
> code, so that's all I could do ..
>
> All in all it took me several weeks for the setting of the config
> file: It was the first one I made.
As I have a working kernel and I'm running Debian on 3 servers, I'm not
in a great hurry, so I guess I'm not going to be any quicker.

> And I'm careful with Kernel Guides floating around the Internet:
> <http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/>
> :
> "I once wrote something called the Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide. If you
> are looking for it, stop now. It's old, not updated, very broken, and
> by now is almost entirely misleading."

Many thanks for all the info

Regards

Clive