Re: Recompiling Kernel on G4 PowerMac Gigabit dual 450Mhz

On (10/09/03 21:49), Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 17:56, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > Sometime ago I managed to recompile a 2.4.18 SMP kernel and most things
> > work OK but a few issues remain:
> >
> > Poor sound quality
> > Lack of video
> > I've just added memory but only 512Mb are recognised
> > Can't seem to read CD's or Zip files
> >
> > I've recently tried to recompile to include HighMem and rectify some of
> > the above issues but the new kernels I've tried won't startx and
> > recompiling again gives errors after I've made changes.  I've lost my
> > original config file and so have to start again from scratch.  I'm still
> > using the original SMP kernel.
> >
> > Are there any docs that give an idiots guide to config selection for
> > this machine?
>
> Get my tree and make pmac_config
>
> Ben.

Thanks Ben

It took a bit of detective work but when I found the page:
http://penguinppc.org/~benh/
your instructions on building the tree are pretty clear ;)

As a result I ran out of space in /usr (down to 19Mb out
of 1.5Gb) but I've since run deborphan and released 167Mb in total.

So on to actually recompiling the kernel, I shall plough through the
documentation to find out how but if I get stuck, I  hope you won't mind me
coming back for help :)

Regards

Clive