Xfree86 4.2.1 on iMac

Hello everybody,

I think this issue may apply to everybody running ppc on a an apple mac with ATI Rage 128 video card... I have started installing from a debian-ppc/woody 3.0r0 and finally managed to obtain a working xserver after a lot of struggling with the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 command .

Video quality however remains rather poor especially when compared with the OSX aqua standard but also Apple darwin's own X11/xfree86 package is extremely superior. It is also very poor to x386 standards. :-(

No way I can get 24 bit addressing video mode as well as 800x600 resolution. It works only with 1024x768 as control-alt plus/minus drops my screen into total darkness....

I have also tried fiddling with xvidtune but with not much of an improvement.

Updating the kernel to 2.4.22-ben2 gives no apparent improvement.

Could anybody that has been through a similar experience post me a good working XFree86-config file?

Any help on this subject would be higly appreciated

Pieterjan