Xfree86 help on PowerBook 17

Hi All,

I've tried endlessly to get X going on my PB17 but no luck. I can't understand why it is so hard :(
I've tried all sorts of benh kernels (2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22).
I've tried lots of different XF86Config-4's from various people that have X working. I've tried various versions of xfree86 (debian/unstable and Michael's dri-trunk).
I've tried with and with out "video=ofonly"

Nothing seems to work. X -probeonly doesn't give any errors but when I use "startx" the screen just goes blank. I can't seem to kill X but I can login via ssh from a remote machine. I did try killing some processes and noticed that the screen was still black. I looked closer and I could see the console but it was very very faint.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

I really really REALLY want to get this going soon. I have been trying for 3 months now (on and off) and I'm going on holidays soon and what to take my laptop with me. If I can't get it going then I will have to resort to using MacOS-X and I don't really like the interface much.

Thanks for any help, suggestions or pointers.
Brendan Simon.

Please CC me as well as the list.