Re: Meta Alt oh my! (long)

	Sorry for the long absence, have been stuck with searching for
a job, taking care of a newborn and his exhausted mother, fighting the
unemployment office, teaching some newbies the relational model of
database management, and dealing with the assorted neurastenic or
two...

	So back to my problem, if someone is still interested in
helping...

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:41:22 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Well, but you say that setting the XkbModel to pc101 fixes it on :1 ...
> (and setxkbmap -v shows pc101 to be used on :0) Something doesn't fit
> together here. Sounds like it's :0 that doesn't work as configured in
> fact?

	At this point I decided things had been too much patched.  I
even installed XFree 4.3 that had just made to the Debian servers, and
was hesitating about restarting my session and incurring on the
associated pain of loading apps, carefully adjusting windows, loading
the FastMail IMAP folders in Evolution and other things that should
just work, when switching from one of my X servers to the other did it
for me by completely freezing the system... I assume it was complete,
for lack of a second machine to ssh and kill the culprit process if
any.  Anyway didn't found anything looking relevant in the logs, and
gave up as with 4.3 the thing seems to have gone away.

	By and by sure enough, when the system came back I had a
clean, nicely buggy situation: :0 works just as expected, with Alt
activating the menus, Meta-Tab switching windows, and both keys being
passed to GNU Emacs as per their labels on the keyboard, with the
Apple key being Meta and the Alt being Alt as Jobs wished it; :1 gives
me the old default behaviour, where Apple is useless -- nothing new
here, but I digress -- and Alt is at the same time Alt and Meta; GNU
Emacs sees it as Meta.  The :1 behaviour is the same as the one from
the console.

	Configurations, logs etc follow:

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us_intl"
	Option		"XkbVariant"	"ibook"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"altwin:meta_win"
EndSection

/var/log/XFree86.0.log:
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
(**) XKB: model: "macintosh"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
(**) XKB: layout: "us_intl"
(**) Option "XkbVariant" "ibook"
(**) XKB: variant: "ibook"
(**) Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:meta_win"
(**) XKB: options: "altwin:meta_win"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
[...]
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[...]
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver

/var/log/XFree86.1.log:
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
(**) XKB: model: "macintosh"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
(**) XKB: layout: "us_intl"
(**) Option "XkbVariant" "ibook"
(**) XKB: variant: "ibook"
(**) Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:meta_win"
(**) XKB: options: "altwin:meta_win"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
[...]
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[...]
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver

:0 xmodmap -pm
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Meta_L (0x73),  Meta_R (0x74)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

:1 xmodmap -pm
/usr/bin/X11/xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

ps aux | grep X
root       862  1.4  2.7 42060 15680 ?       S<   Aug13  74:39 /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp -auth /var/lib/gdm
root       907  1.7  3.0 40000 17812 ?       S<   Aug13  88:40 /usr/bin/X11/X :1 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp -auth /var/lib/gdm

:0 setxkbmap -v 6
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)
geometry:   pc(pc101)

:1 setxkbmap -v 6
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/us_intl(ibook)+altwin(meta_win)
geometry:   macintosh(macintosh)
Error loading new keyboard description

	Then I tried the same fix as before at :1
/ $ setxkbmap -v 10 -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout pc -symbols "us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)" -variant us_intl -option "altwin:meta_win"
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Warning! Multiple definitions of rules file
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of layout variant
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of symbols
         Using command line, ignoring rules file
Applied rules from xfree86:
model:      pc101
layout:     pc
variant:    us_intl
[...]

symbols:    en_US(pc101)+pc(us_intl)+altwin(meta_win)
geometry:   pc(pc101)
Error loading new keyboard description

	Not only it didn't work this time, I lost Alt-Tab...

	Then for something different:
~/var/tmp $ cat .xmodmaprc
! Rebind keys to permit Apple logo key to be Meta in Emacs.
clear mod4
keycode 115 = Meta_L
add mod4 = Meta_L
~/var/tmp $ xmodmap .xmodmaprc

~/var/tmp $ xmodmap -pm
/usr/bin/X11/xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Meta_L (0x73)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

	This time I get what I expect in GNU Emacs, but in X Alt-Tab
does nothing, and Meta-Tab does a plain Tab...

	Ideas?  Where to look next?

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34