Re: Meta Alt oh my!

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:40:04 +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti
Dutra wrote:

> /var/tmp $ setxkbmap -geometry "pc(101)" -symbols "us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)"
> Error loading new keyboard description
> /var/tmp $
>
> 	Is there a secret here?  I also tried loading the symbols as
> discreet options, to no avail...

	OK, got it now:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb $ setxkbmap -v 10 -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout pc -symbols "us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)" -variant us_intl -option "altwin:meta_win"
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Warning! Multiple definitions of rules file
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of layout variant
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of symbols
         Using command line, ignoring rules file
Applied rules from xfree86:
model:      pc101
layout:     pc
variant:    us_intl
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)
geometry:   pc(pc101)
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb $

	Now, what would be the canonical place to insert this command?
I guess I could put into my .Xsession or something, but ideally there
would be a configuration file for :1...

>> If that works, then there's a bug with how XFree handles alternate kemaps on
>> secondary displays.
>
> 	I guess so.  Should I then report it, or perhaps wait to test 4.3?

	Just to clarify, I understand the XFree 4.3 debs are about to
be unleashed on unstable?  I couldn't find them in experimental or in
Branden's repository...

> 	One thing that baffles me is that X and console have redundant
> confs.  Shouldn't there be a way of telling X to just use the console
> input drivers, and ideally also the framebuffer ones?  But I guess X
> have much more developed drivers, so perhaps the console should use
> the X ones, but then ugh...

	Still wondering... BTW, haven't got the console right yet.

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34