Re: Meta Alt oh my! (long)

On Sunday 17 August 2003 1:19, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> 	Configurations, logs etc follow:
>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"keyboard"
> 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us_intl"
> 	Option		"XkbVariant"	"ibook"
> 	Option		"XkbOptions"	"altwin:meta_win"
> EndSection
>
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
> (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
> (**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
> (**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
> (**) Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
> (**) XKB: model: "macintosh"
> (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
> (**) XKB: layout: "us_intl"
> (**) Option "XkbVariant" "ibook"
> (**) XKB: variant: "ibook"
> (**) Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:meta_win"
> (**) XKB: options: "altwin:meta_win"
> (==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
> [...]
> (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
> [...]
> (II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
> :0 setxkbmap -v 6
>
> Trying to build keymap using the following components:
> keycodes:   xfree86
> types:      complete
> compat:     complete
> symbols:    us(pc101)+us_intl+altwin(meta_win)
> geometry:   pc(pc101)

Very wierd. What is the reason for the Option "XkbVariant" "ibook"? I don't
find that string anywhere in /etc/X11/xkb/.

> :1 setxkbmap -v 6
>
> Trying to build keymap using the following components:
> keycodes:   xfree86
> types:      complete
> compat:     complete
> symbols:
> macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/us_intl(ibook)+altwin(meta_win) geometry:
>  macintosh(macintosh)
> Error loading new keyboard description

This is interesting, too. The fact that you get this error loading the
keyboard description. I wonder if the :0 is getting this error and falling
back to a default (and it happens to be the default that you want!) However,
I would expect *some* error in the log.

Frank