Re: Enabling video card hardware acceleration

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 20:32, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> I'd like to be sure that I am using my video card at its full
> performance. I own a G3 B&W (Yosemite) that is geared by the common ATI
> Rage 128. I find that video performance seems very low. I am running
> kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc, and when starting X, log says things as
> follows:
>
> drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> [drm] failed to load kernel module "r128"
> (II) R128(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
> (EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
>
> So, I search under /lib/modules and see that indeed r128.o is nowhere.
> So I download kernel-source-2.4.20 and kernel-patch-2.4.20-powerpc, and
> configure the kernel as I would using a common PC. When compiling, I get
> errors from agpgart_be.c. Googling this, I find references on AGP not
> being supported by any PowerPC 2.4 kernel! Is this information precise?
> What if I compile and use DRI using the r128.o without the agpgart.o
> module being available, is this a serious drawback? What about benh kernels?

As has been discussed here recently: The benh and linuxppc-2.5 trees are
the only ones with an agpgart driver for the UniNorth chipset so far,
but r128 DRI tends to be unstable with AGP anyway, and it works
perfectly with PCI GART. Disable AGP in the kernel config, or just
install kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc, which should include the r128 DRM.

> Then I find these links:
>
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/
> http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/
>
> Is these stuff useful for me? I am running Debian Sid.

It doesn't make much difference for the r128 drivers. It's mostly useful
for Radeon users.

> Please note that by now I only refer to enabling DRI, I just need the
> full 2D performance,

The DRI doesn't make much difference for that.

> but maybe later I will worry about OpenGL, Mesa, and stuff like those!
> Are we Debian PowerPC users ready?

Hardware accelerated OpenGL shouldn't be a problem.