Re: Printing problems - again!

Hi,

Derrik Pates a écrit:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 06:57:11PM -0300, Jos? Le?nidas Bier Brasileiro wrote:

  "lp: driver loaded but no devices found"

I've the same problem...after [big] upgrade on a sid/powerpc, but where is the problem ?

That's completely immaterial. The 'lp' driver is just to support a
printer on a parallel port - and if you have a Mac, I doubt you have one
of those.

Possible, but the Mac OS printing configuration is nearly the same as in Linux !

For example : my Epson Stylus Photo 890 + cups (yes, it's cups in Mac OS)

modprobe hfsplus && mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda10 /macosx # /dev/hda10 for me..

And I can see an /etc/cups directory (with same configurations files like in Linux), in /usr/bin I can find a cups-config binary..and so on

All what I can see in Linux :-)

OK, the binary, and the library are of course not the sames...

What does that mean? I was printing normally before the upgrade... I

after an apt-get install something_how_goes_wrong, the printing system doesn't work anymore. And there's is no more possible configuration too.
But which package is the bad one ?

tried removing the printer via http://localhost/631 but after I can't configure a new one...

Not possible. I always/often have made this with Mozilla before, and now : don't work at all.

What do you mean, you can't configure a new one? If you go into "Admin",
you should be able to add a printer. How is the printer in question
attached to your computer? Serial port, USB, network?

I know a hard way of printing again, that is re-installing the whole system. Frankly, I'm trying to avoid that.

Me too. I've tried apt-get install reinstall cupsys, cupsys-client, or cupsys/testing, cupsys-client/testing too (and all dependancies) ...but all's going wrong :-(

There's something broken. But what ?

Not a solution. Though it sounds like you're missing something.

It's possible, but a buggy apdate can do this too. I never had luck with printers (for example with a fu... HP printer called HP820CXi ). So that's the reason why I completely know the Linux printing system, and like José, I don't know what's happening.

Best regards

--
eric b