Enabling video card hardware acceleration

Hi,

First of all, sorry if this has been discussed previously. I had no luck finding complete information searching the archives.

I'd like to be sure that I am using my video card at its full performance. I own a G3 B&W (Yosemite) that is geared by the common ATI Rage 128. I find that video performance seems very low. I am running kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc, and when starting X, log says things as follows:

drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "r128"
(II) R128(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

So, I search under /lib/modules and see that indeed r128.o is nowhere. So I download kernel-source-2.4.20 and kernel-patch-2.4.20-powerpc, and configure the kernel as I would using a common PC. When compiling, I get errors from agpgart_be.c. Googling this, I find references on AGP not being supported by any PowerPC 2.4 kernel! Is this information precise? What if I compile and use DRI using the r128.o without the agpgart.o module being available, is this a serious drawback? What about benh kernels?

Then I find these links:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/

Is these stuff useful for me? I am running Debian Sid.

Please note that by now I only refer to enabling DRI, I just need the full 2D performance, but maybe later I will worry about OpenGL, Mesa, and stuff like those! Are we Debian PowerPC users ready?

Quoting Leandro, "Am I being exceedingly stupid?" ;)

Thanks for any useful info.

Regards, Ismael