Re: IBM Servers to Pair Linux, New PowerPC Chips

	Small semantic question: is it correct to call these babies PowerPC?
Aren't they really POWER chips?  Why?

According to the article, yes, they are (or will be) PowerPC - they use the PPC 970 (aka G5). The 970 was derived from the POWER CPUs, but it's fully PPC and is more efficient power-wise than POWER as well. :^)

Also, to ask my own question, did I hear someone say recently on this list that IBM might use Apple chips in it's PPC machines? Or am I confusing things? If I'm not confusing things and they _do_ use Apple chip(s) in these or similar machines, I assume that would be good for G5 compatibility? :^)

NRH

--
The future ain't what it used to be. - Yogi Berra