Re: Kernel warning messages when insmodding unix.o

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 16:16, Frank Murphy wrote:

> OK, so I've added this new section to yaboot.conf and run ybin:
>
> image=/vmlinux
>         label=Linux-initsh
>         append = "init=/bin/sh"
>         read-write
>
> Now, I get a shell prompt 'init-2.05b # '
>
> Also, the order of the error logs has changed. It seems that this unix.o
> problem is caused by something that starts before init, but doesn't finish
> until after init starts.

Well, init is /bin/sh in this scenario, so you're saying the warnings
also appear if you don't type anything at the shell prompt? If not, the
idea is to start the /etc/rcS.d/S* scripts one by one and notice after
which one(s) the warnings appear.

> I get another complaint with hid.o and a missing mousedev module (which
> makes sense because moudev.o is only for PS/2 mice, I believe; however,
> before init starts there's a log "mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all
> mice").

Which doesn't sound like it's only for PS/2 mice, does it? :)

The input related module(s) could be loaded by something like hotplug.

> So I checked to see which modules are loaded. lsmod returned with this:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> hid                    20660   0  (unused)
> unix                   17424   0  (autoclean)
>
> So both of the loaded modules had a problem loading.

Well, AFAICT the warnings basically say that the modules are already
loaded. Just a cosmetic problem.

BTW, are either of these in /etc/modules ?