Re: Kernel warning messages when insmodding unix.o

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 2:28, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Indeed, part of it could be the /proc problem someone else has reported
> > > before. There was also discussion about how to track this down in that
> > > thread.

OK, so I've added this new section to yaboot.conf and run ybin:

image=/vmlinux
        label=Linux-initsh
        append = "init=/bin/sh"
        read-write

Now, I get a shell prompt 'init-2.05b # '

Also, the order of the error logs has changed. It seems that this unix.o
problem is caused by something that starts before init, but doesn't finish
until after init starts. I get another complaint with hid.o and a missing
mousedev module (which makes sense because moudev.o is only for PS/2 mice, I
believe; however, before init starts there's a log "mice: PS/2 mouse device
common for all mice").

It's just these logs that show up:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-powerpc/kernel/net/unix/unix.o Cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
insmod: insmod: a module named unix already exists
insmod: insmod: Cannot open /proc/ksyms No such file or directory
insmod: insmod: insmod net-pf-1 failed
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module mousedev

Also, /proc exists, and is listed in df -h as being a filesystem with the
exact same attributes as /dev/hda11, but ls /proc shows nothing. When I mount
proc, the df listing disappears, but ls /proc is full. That seems a bit
backwards to me.

So I checked to see which modules are loaded. lsmod returned with this:

Module                  Size  Used by
hid                    20660   0  (unused)
unix                   17424   0  (autoclean)

So both of the loaded modules had a problem loading.

Where would insmod and modprovbe be called before init starts? It would seem
that these are started in kernel threads or something to let these messages
change order like this. Any ideas?

Frank