Re: kernel panic

> The machine I use is a PowerBook G4 running at 867Mhz.

What model exactly ? (what do you have in /proc/cpuinfo ?) Also
what model of video chip do you have ?

> What I do in order to block the kernel is just to log in using XDM. The
> system hangs immediately. Or, when I have the XDM window, switch to
> console, login and reboot.
>
> At the xmon, when I get the backtrace I see some address. I did write
> beside that address, the name I found in the System.map from kernel
> 2.4.21-ben1 (compiled with gcc 2.95). At the end I also added the
> start/end addresses of every function used.

Ok, looks like a problem with DRI. Try disabling DRI & AGP to see if
that helps (comment Load "dri" in modules section in XFree config file
and do not compile the agpgart module).

Regarding DRI, I have it working just fine without any crash so far
using Michel Danzer packages. You should make sure you properly rebuild
his DRM kernel module (the .deb package will only put some source
tarball in /usr/src, you have to expand & build it)

Ben.