Re: Slow performance in X Windows

On  27 May, this message from mushis@mail.lafayette.edu echoed through
cyberspace:
> I have had Debian 3.0r1 (woody) running on my beige G3 (333Mhz, 512Mb
> Ram)  pretty smoothly for the past few weeks after giving up on the CD
> install and doing everything via http (thank God for fast .edu
> connections!). But I have noticed that both KDe and Gnome run very
> slowly... I wonder if it is my  1024x768 resolution... and the 6mb of
> VRAM on my onboard ATI Mach64 card that are to blame.,..... but even
> then menus load slowly ... and drag and drop operations on the
> desktop are  sometimes unresponsive. .....
>
> Are there any other users of debian on geige G3s that have this
> problem?

I have no hard numbers to provide, but I can confirm that X 'feels' dog
slow on my beige G3 at work (same video hardware as yours). I find my
old 7600 with it's crappy build-in 'control' video adaptor much more
responsive. This is all at the same settings on both: 1152x864@32bits.

What you can try to make it appear faster is reduce color depth. That
reduces the amount of data to shuffle around.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |