Slow performance in X Windows

Hi All,

I have had Debian 3.0r1 (woody) running on my beige G3 (333Mhz, 512Mb
Ram)  pretty smoothly for the past few weeks after giving up on the CD
install and doing everything via http (thank God for fast .edu connections!).
But I have noticed that both KDe and Gnome run very slowly... I wonder if it
is my  1024x768 resolution... and the 6mb of VRAM on my onboard ATI
Mach64 card that are to blame.,..... but even then menus load slowly ... and
drag and drop operations on the desktop are  sometimes unresponsive. .....

Are there any other users of debian on geige G3s that have this problem?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thank a lot

Simon