Re: Need to get data out of damaged iBook

As far as I can tell, most of the posters agree that there's no specific "cause." Some think it was just a bad batch of logicboards that Apple got. There may be a bad capacitor, or solder somewhere that wears down with use and time. That may be why the iBook works fine for 10 months, then wonks out.

It seems to happen randomly. There're less reports of iBook 500's having the problem, and really a ton of affected 700's and 800's. But, I couldn't see any pattern.

Many of the users report that it's all but disappeared after the logicboard replacement, while others claim to have gotten the bad logicboard replaced with _another_ bad one. In which case, the newly repaired iBook wonks after only a few weeks, and has to get sent back again.

Who knows?

- David