Re: powerbook 15" 1Ghz question ...

	Hi,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:16:19PM +0200, Michael Flaig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought about buying the Powerbook G4 15" 1GHz, but have a few
> GNU/Linux related questions. So I would be happy If someone who has this
> TiBook could give me some answeres ...
>
> As far as I know
> - Powermanagement does work with latest Benh Kernels (suspend)
> - XFree86 work's but without 3D Accelration
> - Sound works
> right?
>
> Do this components work?
> - PCMCIA Slot? (with pcmcia-cs? because of orinoco-cs monitor patch)
> - Modem? (heard that there is an closed source driver)
>
> How long can you work with your powerbook on battery power?
> Yes, i know, this depends on what you do with the Powerbook, right.
> But what are your experiences?
>   - on normal working (vi, ssh, email, web, irc, etc.)
>   - and on heavy cpu using (compiling, etc.)
> This is my most important question because I have an Pismo and could
> live with the slow cpu of the G3, but not with intel-like on-battery
> times :-/

If you don't have a long battery life on a Pismo, your battery is likely
dead or dying. When mine was new with 2 batteries, I had 8-9 hours of
battery life doing email and similar things (no usb or firewire devices
plugged-in, modem, airport and ethernet off).

What does cat /proc/pmu/battery* give about total battery capacity
(max_charge) on your Pismo?

The value for a new battery should close to 4500. Batteries lose
capacity with each charge charge/discharge cycle, especially when you
drain them completely (one of my batteries is down to 1800). For non
demanding tasks, battery is drained at about 1000 (pmu charge units)/hour
in my experience, give or take 20%. The pmu charge unit seems to be
fairly close to 0.01 Wh.

	Regards,
	Gabriel