Re: PBG412 install early failure - SUCCESS but new question

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:59:43PM +0200, Georg Koss wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Again a status report of some further unsuccessful trials :(.
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:45:16PM +0200, Georg Koss wrote:
> >
> > PROBLEM: I used a 2.4.20-ben10 kernel with nothing compiled as a
> > module (I thought at least :( ), which I installed on my
> > Desktop, took the /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-ben10, renamed it to linux.bin
> > and copied it to my home-brewed install-CD.
> >
> > Now my installation hangs with:
> > "no modules in /target/lib/modules/2.4.20-ben10 found".
>
> As I brewed a new installation-CD with the /lib/modules/2.4.20-ben10
> from this kernel, I had renamed as linux.bin on my CD and it failed
> one step earlier. At that point I recognized that drivers.tgz seem to
> belong to .../images-2.88/rescue.bin.
>
> But if so, why does install complain about problems when I installed
> with the original drivers.tgz belonging to rescue.bin (both
> downloaded)?
>
> Should I replace rescue.bin by my kernel-2.4.20-ben10 and rename it
> rescue.bin on the installation-CD %-P

The installation will install your rescue.bin in the Install Kernel
and Modules step. rescue.bin is identical to linux.bin, so I would say
yes. Your drivers.tgz in the new-powermac folder, is where the modules are
found. As you will see if you look at the contents, it contains modules,
modconf, and an install.sh script to install them.

The modules have to end up in a directory whose name matches the
version of your kernel. If you really have no modules, maybe just
making a directory with the right name in /target/lib/modules would
make it happy. If you need some modules, a quick fix is just to copy
in the ones from the b-f set. Not sure what issues might arise from
that later, though.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman