Re: Laptop and sleep

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:11:57PM -0500, christophe barbe wrote:
> I have not exactly the same setup (both wireless for me) but it should
> work too. I will try again tonight. My conclusion (perhaps wrong) was
> that it was not possible to ifdown if a wlan was present but not the one
> configured (I realize it doesn't make a lot of sense).
>
> Is there a way to see the available wlan when the wireless network is
> up. I would really like a setup that ifup automatically the wireless
> interface when a known wlan is available anf ifdown when no wlan is
> available.
> I used to use the ifplugd package to so something similar for wire
> network.

Ok. I don't know what I did wrong last time but now it works. The funny
part is that for the last week I have ifdown/ifup eth1 each times
manually.

I did some digging concerning making things smarter starting from
Jean Tourrilhes pages [1].

I believe what I am looking for is a script around 'iwlist eth1 scan'.
Apparently the airport driver doesn't support that.

I have also read [2] concerning the Airport driver that:
   "The second version of the driver was also done by Benjamin
Herrenschmidt and is just a wrapper on top of the driver of David Gibson
(see section 3), and was integrated in version 0.05 (kernel 2.4.5). This
is a much cleaner solution, because both driver share the same source,
so the feature set is identical and all improvements and bug fixes of
the Orinoco driver are automatically in the Airport driver and
vice-versa."

I found a patch [3] to add the scan feature to the Orinoco driver version 11b (which seems to
be the one in 2.4.20ben8).
Is there a chance that it will add the scan feature to the airport
driver?

Christophe

[1] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
[2] http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html#Airport
[3] http://www.cs.umd.edu/~moustafa/morinoco/morinoco.html

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.
--English proverb