Re: IBM chrp net boot...

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:14:22PM -0600, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> >
> > I am surprised that none of the Debian ppc kernel wizards have made 32
and
> > 64 bit IBM PREP & CHRP precompiled kernels available at the Debian ftp
> > site. If I had such kernels then I could easily test the latest version
of
> > boot-floppies on a whole bunch of systems:
> > http://people.debian.org/~schmitz/3.0.24-2003-01-07/
> >
> > Rolf
> >
> > --
> > Rolf Brudeseth
> > pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group
> > Austin, TX
>
> Bad news, Rolf. I think you _are_ the aforementioned wizards.
>
> --
> http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org
>
> Chris Tillman
> - Linux Rox -

I get the picture ;-).

I will see if I can get one of the internal Linux kernel developers to
assist me compile some kernels with network support. I could put these
on my personal web site for now.

Before I ask, does the latest version of boot-floppies and
debian-installer have any requirements regarding which level of kernel
that they may be used with?

Long term, what exactly does Debian need to support the IBM CHRP/PREP
hardware? Is it enough for IBM to add precompiled kernels, of the
correct level with the appropriate hardware support, to their external
Linux web site for Debian to pick up? Is it documentation regarding how
to compile the kernels? It is lack of hardware to compile on?

Rolf