Re: IBM chrp net boot...

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:39:01PM -0600, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

:Long term, what exactly does Debian need to support the IBM CHRP/PREP
:hardware? Is it enough for IBM to add precompiled kernels, of the
:correct level with the appropriate hardware support, to their external
:Linux web site for Debian to pick up? Is it documentation regarding how
:to compile the kernels? It is lack of hardware to compile on?

Not sure if I'm one to go by as I've yet to get Linux on an IBM
PowerPC system and I'm not a Debian developer but...

a precompiled kernel with nfsroot and kernel level IP config support
(bootp and/or dhcp, somefolks may use rarp I don't) would go a long
way for me.

failing that access to a machine of the correct architecture to run
the build on *may* be enough (I've built alot of kernels but not for
this archetecture so my milage may vary :)

-Jon