Re: getting audio cd sound to work

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:40:26PM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> I tried to solve this problem this week as well. It seems that it's not
> possible to play audio CDs in KDE (through arts) on NewWorld ppc machines.
> KsCD doesn't actually read the CD data, but controls the track movement and
> relies on the CD/soundcard direct connection (which doesn't exist on NewWorld
> macs). So it's silence. (See KDE bug #44216, and vote on it!)
> It seems that the only GUI music player to support reading the data from the
> CD itself is xmms. (Install the xmms-cdread module and activate it in xmms.)
> However, while there is an xmmsarts package as well, it wasn't written with
> endian issues in mind. So trying to use it ends up with white noise.
> Actually, there is a workaround to the xmmsarts problem. Call xmms with the
> artsdsp program, like so:
> $ artsdsp xmms
> Then configure xmms to use the normal OSS output.
> Also, supposedly noatun supports cd playing as well. Type in
> "audiocd:/dev/cdrom" in the file selection dialog. It seems to want to rip
> all the tracks before playing though.
> But, there is no clean way to play audio CDs with arts.
> Frank

I'll just mention my command-line solution:

cdda2wav -C little -t 1+`cdir | tail -1 | sed 's/^..[^ ]* *//'` -D /dev/cdrom -N -e -d0 -I cooked_ioctl -q &

-C little prevents cdda2wav from trying to decide the endianness
of the CD (all commercial CDs I've tried are little-endian.

The cdir phrase looks up how many tracks there are. It
doesn't work right if there are data tracks.

At least, it works. And I control volume with aumix (both
internal and external).

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003