problems while upgrading kernel

Hi.. I just tried upgrading the kernel on my ibook2 from 2.4.20-ben1 to ben8 (so
that I could get suspend working).. looks like I have a whole bunch of other
problems to solve now:

1. The keyboard mapping has all gone bad again.. I remember I had this problem
when I first installed Debian onto my ibook but I can't remember how I solved
it.. I tried using keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 and 0 etc. but no luck..
(and I have to do a hard reboot since I can't login and I can't connect to the
machine remotely right now..)

2. I had set my file system to ext3 but looks like that's changed too so no
every time I do a hard reboot fsck starts checking the disk for errors.. very
time consuming...

Can someone please give directions as to what I need to do? I did rename the old
vmlinux as another label/image but didn't run yabootconfig before rebooting so
I can't even go back to my old kernel.. help!

Thanks,
nirmal