Re: Failed boot from install Debian Woody CD on IBM RS6000 7248-120

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:59:17PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> Hello,
>         I've been trying to install a PPC Debian Woody on an IBM RS6000
> 7248-120 machine.  Using the System Management Services floppy all the
> hardware tests succeed and I can set the machine to boot from floppy first,
> and then CD Rom.  I tryed booting from the CD Rom, I get the prompt:
> Linux/PPC load: root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
>   No matter how I change the root=/dev/fd0 line (I remember I tryed /dev/scd0,
> /dev/sr0 and /dev/sdc... the CD Rom drive has ID 3 and there's no ID 2 device)
> I get the following on the screen:
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 4) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is beeing reset for host 0 channel 0.
> ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=4 reset_flags=2 serial_number=1 serial_number_at_timeout+1
>   I get this message over and over again, with the "serial_number" and
> "serial_number_at_timeout" values increasing at each cicle.
> I prepared the four boot disks out of the images found on the first install CD
> Rom on
> /mnt/cdrom/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/3.0.23-2002-05-21/chrp/images-1.44
> but when I try to boot from the rescue floppy, I am promped to insert the SMS
> floppy and the machine reboots.  I compared the floppy images against the raw
> floppy devices, they are fine, no error is detected.  I insert the SMS floppy,
> run again all of the hardware tests, everything's ok.  I also tried to boot
> from the CD with the root floppy inserted, leaving the default boot prompt
> unchanged:
> Linux/PPC load: root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
> Everythig goes as described above.
>   The file
> /mnt/cdrom/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/3.0.23-2002-05-21/chrp/install.txt
> says:
> 1. Installing Debian GNU/Linux on a PowerPC CHRP machine
>      Not ready yet!!!  Please add documentation.
> :-(
> Has anyone had success installing Debian Woody on a 7248-120 RS6000 machine?
> Or should I consider another distro?

I don't think you'll find support in any other dist; but I could
be wrong...

Here is one link:

Debian network installation on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 (POWER3) HOWTO by Rolf Brudeseth

You might also try searching for RS6000 in the list archives.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003