Re: Frozen cursor after logout; CLI escape

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 13:22:56 -0800, Dylan Beaudette composed:
> for configuring the services that run in yourt current runlevel, i would
> recomend 'rcconf'. you might have to apt-get it, but it is a nice little
> cmnd line app for sorting out the various services!!
>
> just my 2cents
>
> dylan

i like file-rc, ti's easy to manage, and serves me well.

> Michel Dänzer said at ÒRe: Frozen cursor after logout; CLI escapeÓ.
> [2002/11/01 12:32]
>
> > On Fre, 2002-11-01 at 20:53, Marc Stergionis wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been using (since root obviously can't log in graphically)
> > > control-option-F1 to get a command line to use as root,
> >
> > Better never log in as root at all. sudo or su is your friend.

which i am quickly finding out :)

> > > but can't figure out how to toggle back out of that (to the user login)
> >
> > alt-F7, where alt can be option or command depending on the keymap.

alt-f# is your friend too :).

> > > and when I try to log  in as my user, the screen tells  me there's
> > > already an xserver running (the existing graphic login screen).
> >
> > You could start another one with startx -- :1 .
> >

> > > Also, whenever I do use graphic login to start a user session, and
> > > then logout to the graphic login screen, may cursor is *always*
> > > frozen, even though it just worked in the previous session.
> >
> > This has been reported before, unfortunately I don't remember if any
> > solution has been found yet.

one workaround is to move the mouse around while this is happening: when
the GUI goes down, start moving your mouse around, and do this
until you see that the mouse is working - you'll see that it is or not
when you get the grey moiré (?) pattern on-screen and the big X cursor.
by the time you are at the screen, you'll know that it worked or not. if
not, kill the X server, then try again.

i do this when i'm running *dm. which i don't always, but when i did so
a lot more, i was getting this - even in potato XFree 3.3.6., and
stumbled on it one day when i got pissed off to just mess with the
mouse, and found this little trick. hope it helps.

simon