Re: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50

El mié, 21-08-2002 a las 17:21, George Karaolides escribió:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Tom Gall wrote:
> > Ummm you do realize you're not going to get any output from the system unless
> > you have configured linux to use a serial console. (ie not just your kernel
> > param but also  set your inittab)
>
> Support for console on serial port is compiled into the kernel, as are the
> appropriate bootargs.

There are three options:
1. The cable is connected to ttyS1, not ttyS0.
2. The bootargs has errors
3. The cable is not full null modem

> Now what I'm trying to do is start the Debian woody installer.  Other
> people (Rolf springs to mind) seem to have had success starting that from the
> serial port, so I guess the inittab in the woody root ramdisk supports
> this.
>
> Thanks for all the other RS/6000 stuff you mentioned, it warrants a close
> read.

IMHO, you must reduce your space of errors. So. try with a kernel you
know it works with console, ie. SuSE kernel:
http://mirror.dci.ubiobio.cl/suse/ppc/update/BETA/kernel/power3/zImage.chrp-power3-2.4.16-SMP-3

On OF:
0> boot net console=ttyS0,9600

It should boot and end with a kernel panic complaining a missing root
disk.  It you can read this message, it's fine and you can follow
the procedure (getting the ramdisk from NFS or whatever).

I installed Debian booting with SuSE kernel and getting the ramdisk
from NFS.

--
German Poo Caaman~o
mailto:gpoo@ubiobio.cl