Re: new G4, radeon9000 support

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 15:11, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:25:39PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 11:49, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> > >
> > > my boss told me that christmas is comming now, I can order a new bi G4.
> > > with a 17' ADC flat panel
> >
> > You've got a nice boss. :)
> >
> > > I think I will order the following:
> > > biG4  1.25GHz
> > > 1Gb   SDRAM
> > > 2 UltraSCSI 72 Gb
> > > ATI Radeon 9000
> > > SCSI card
> > >

> > > I want to now about the Xfree support of the radeon9000 (I don't want
> > > a nvidia card)
> > > As far as I understood the Xfree documentation, the radeon familly is
> > > supported. am I correct, or should I order an other card
> >
> > Well, the 9000 series is the third generation of Radeon cores, and AFAIK
>
> No, the 9000 is just a cheaper 8500 with a few modifications, it still
> uses the R200 core,

Whoops, I'm too confident in ATI's naming scheme... thanks for pointing
this out.

> but i am not sure to what point the modifications
> would need adaptation of the R200 drivers.

I'd expect being able to get it working with 4.2.0 (maybe even 3D with
the r200 branch in DRI CVS) with a bit of fiddling.

> > it might be different enough to the earlier generations for it not to
> > work out of the box. However, ATI has already submitted a patch to
> > XFree86 to add support, it should be in 4.3.0 and could probably be
> > backported if necessary.
>
> I guess the difficult thing will be support for the 9500/9700 boards.

Right.

> BTW, do you know if this patch includes support for video stuff ?

No idea.

> The radeon 9000 (as the 9500/9700) use the pixel shaders to do video, if i
> understood this well.

I'd think that only applies to things like motion compensation and iDCT,
I'd be surprised if they didn't have an overlay and I don't expect it to
be incompatible either.